Faculty Involvement in the North Star STEM Alliance
Sean Garrick Sean Garrick is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota. To meet the challenge of doubling the number of underrepresented graduates in STEM fields, the National Science Foundation Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation programs across the nation offer opportunities aimed at helping students to succeed academically. We welcome and invite you, as faculty, to join in the effort by becoming a member of the North Star STEM Alliance community.
Annette Lee is an Assistant Professor of Physics Science in the Department of Physics and Chemistry at Saint Cloud State University.
Edgar Arriaga Edgar Arriaga is an Associate Professor in the Departments of Chemistry and Biomedical Engineering, University of Minnesota.
There are many ways that faculty can participate:
Mentor an Alliance student
- Serve as a departmental liaison to the Alliance
- Guide students through graduate school planning
- Guide students into undergraduate research
- President's Distinguished Faculty Mentoring Program (UMTC)
Welcome an Alliance student into your research group
- Undergraduate research (Funding provided by the North Star STEM Alliance)
- Include undergraduate researchers in international research programs
- Students can attend regional/national meetings through Alliance funding
Teaching and Learning
- Develop a STEM-focused seminar with a multicultural context
- Propose a customized teaching and learning workshop that promotes multicultural education
- Apply for a Multicultural Teaching and Learning Fellowship
- Attend Alliance events